Teen Pop-Culture Quiz December 2010
Incredibly Disappearing TV on TV Viewing
1. To accommodate the “emotional and physical issues” that Demi Lovato is struggling with, her Disney TV show is going to be adjusted to focus on the show within the show. Which is the name of the REAL show on Disney, and which is the “show within the show?”
a. Sonny With a Chance b. Shake It Up c. So Random! d. Wizards of Waverly Place e. Recess
2. The new cable station “The Hub” is bringing back many TV favorites destined to bring parents and children together in nostalgia heaven. Which show isn’t part of their nightly re-run lineup?
a. Family Ties b. Laverne & Shirley c. The Wonder Years d. Square Pegs e. Doogie Howser M.D.
3. Potentially leading to major spoilers about the plot, the Glee Christmas Album drops three weeks before the Christmas episode airs on December 7. Which guest star will be featured on a Christmas song?
a. Britney Spears b. k.d. lang c. John Stamos d. Gwyneth Paltrow
4. Taking the idea of the Red Bull and vodka drink to a whole new level, “Alco-Speed” drinks have been causing major safety concerns after a rash of recent hospitalizations of college students. Which brand is pulling the blend off the market just as the Food and Drug Administration is poised to ban it?
a. Four Loko b. Axis c. Core d. Sparks e. Joose
5. In an attempt to bring the young people back into the hockey fold whose comic creations will be used in a new partnership with the NHL?
a. Neil Gaiman b Frank Miller c. Alex Ross d. Will Eisner e. Stan Lee
We Got the Beat
6. Match the singer on the right with their new single on the left!
|a. F**k You (Forget You)||1. Taylor Swift/ Cee Lo Green|
|b. Just the Way You Are||2. Pink/ Bruno Mars|
|c. Only Girl in the World||3. Cee Lo Green/Rihanna|
|d. Mine||4. Bruno Mars/ Taylor Swift|
|e. Raise Your Glass||5. Rihanna/ Pink|
7. At the ripe age of 16, Justin Bieber has a 3D Biopic coming out! What’s the name of this hotly anticipated Valentine’s Day 2011 release?
a. It’s Not All About the Hair b. My Way c. Never Say Never d. My World 16.0
8. If you blinked you probably missed this movie based on the book of the same title by Nick Vizzini:
a. I Hadn’t Meant to Tell You This b. Be More Chill c. Life is Funny d. It’s Kind of a Funny Story
9. This intense and moving teen classic by Judy Blume is the first book adapted by Blume for the screen and is being filmed on location in New Mexico. Blume’s son is directing the movie. Which Judy Blume book is it?
10. According to recent social networking research, teens are managing their online lives in new ways and new concerns are being identified. Match the new term with the activity it describes:
|a. Whitewalling||1. User de-activates their Facebook account each time they log off.|
|b. Super-Loggoff||2. A teen who sends more than 120 texts a day|
|c. Hypertexting||3. Deleting Facebook status updates, likes and wallposts immediately after posting them|
11. It’s impossible to keep up these days! Match the couple with their current status! Engaged? Divorced? Separated? Married?
|a. Jessica Simpson & Eric Johnson||1. Engaged|
|b. Nick Lachey & Vanessa Manillo||2. Divorced|
|c. David Arquette & Courtney Cox||3. Separated|
|d. Leann Rimes & Dean Sheremet||4. Married|
|e. Prince William & Kate Middleton|
|f. Katy Perry & Russell Brand|
Give yourself five points for each correct answer. Each component of a multiple choice counts as one point. A perfect score is 54.
45-54 You get to sing your first Glee solo!
35-44 Will likes your style but he’s not sure if you’re star material.
25-34 When Gwyneth sang “F**k You” she might have been singing to you . . .
0-24 Sue Sylvester wants your out!
1a(real)c(show in show); 2d; 3b; 4a; 5e; 6:a3, b4, c5, d1, e2; 7c; 8d; 9 Tiger Eyes; 10: a3, b1, c2; 11: a1, b1, c3, d2, e1, f4
Erin Helmrich is a teen services librarian at the Ann Arbor District Library in Michigan. When she’s not planning or hosting the perfect pop-culture program she’s buying graphic novels for kids, teens, and adults. She’s the chair of the YALSA 2012 Printz Committee and her first book Create, Relate, and Pop @ the Library Services and Programs for Teens & Tweens is forthcoming from Neal-Schuman in 2011. She’s currently obsessed with giant waves and the surfers who ride them, going to San Diego in January for ALA, and making it through the winter. Contact Erin at firstname.lastname@example.org.