Teen Pop Culture Quiz April 2011
1. There is new scary hallucinogenic drug made up of chemicals with effects similar to high doses of amphetamines that’s potentially lethal and legal in most states and is quickly becoming popular with young people. It looks like and is called what?
a. rice cakes
b. cough drops
c. bath salts
d. air freshener
2. Fans of The Hunger Games have been eagerly awaiting the casting! It’s been announced that Katniss will be played by actress Jennifer Lawrence who was nominated for an Oscar for her role in what 2010 film?
a. The Social Network
b. Winter’s Bone
c. The Fighter
d. Black Swan
3. In the on-going Cola wars one company has pulled ahead in a way that may just mean something to young people. Which company announced it has created the first non-petroleum based bottle made entirely of agricultural based products?
4. In an extreme example of worlds colliding, which reality TV star will be joining in at Wrestlemania XXVII in a special tag-match?
a. The Bachelor’s Brad
b. Kim Kardashian
d. The Situation
5. It’s hard to believe but MTV’s Real World just started its 25th Season! The gang of seven returns to what city?
a. Las Vegas
b. San Francisco
6. The controversial MTV show Skins just finished its first season with no word yet on whether there will be a season two. Skins is based on a show that debuted in what country (where it’s in its fifth season and nowhere near the controversy)?
7. Proving that talent isn’t all you need to become the next big thing, which formerly unknown teen has hit it big, with what some are calling the “worst thing I have ever heard”, with her song and video entitled “Friday?”
a. Cindy Smith
b. Darla Simpson
c. Rebecca Black
8. In an attempt to get young people interested in music again with a new twist on the concept of a record store, which rockster debuted his new record label rolling record store at SXSW in Austin?
a. Dave Grohl
b. Jack White
c. Dave Matthews
d. Cee Lo Green
9. Match the band/performer on the left with the current hit single on the right:
10. Apparently proving that behavior and mental state mean nothing and money means everything, CBS was reportedly planning to hire Charlie Sheen back for which TV show after being fired?
11. It’s impossible to keep up these days! Match the couple with their current status! Dating? Engaged? Divorced? Broken Up? Married?
Give yourself five points for each correct answer. Each component of a multiple choice counts as one point. A perfect score is 56.
45-56 You’re replacing Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men!
35-44 Charlie wants you to be one of his goddesses
25-34 Time for a restraining order…
0-24 You’re going to have to sit through one of Charlie’s sold out rambling shows!
1c; 2b; 3a; 4c; 5a; 6c; 7c; 8b; 9: a5, b1, c6, d3, e4, f2; 10 Two and a Half Men; 11: a1, b2, c3, d1, e2
Erin Helmrich is a teen services librarian at the Ann Arbor District Library in Michigan. When she’s not planning or hosting the perfect pop-culture program she’s buying graphic novels for kids, teens, and adults. She’s the chair of the YALSA 2012 Printz Committee and her first book is Create, Relate, and Pop @ the Library Services and Programs for Teens & Tweens from Neal-Schuman in March 2011. She’s currently obsessed with reading for the Printz, and reading for the Printz. Contact Erin at email@example.com.