Teen Pop Culture Quiz August 2011
1. The retro 80’s-style sax solo in Lady Gaga’s hit “Edge of Glory” turned out to be the swan song for which recently deceased E-Street band member?
2. Which popular internet initialism named band has the song “Party Rock Anthem” currently at the top of the charts?
a. lol b. stfu c. lmfao d. omg e. brb
3. Match the artist on the left with their hit song on the right:
a. Demi Lovato 1. “I Wanna Go”
b. Pitbull 2. “Skyscraper”
c. Katy Perry 3. “Super Bass”
d. Nicki Minaj 4. “Give Me Everything”
e. Britney Spears 5. “Last Friday Night (TGIF)”
4. The recent death of Amy Winehouse has re-ignited interest in her music and sales have gone through the roof. Which song wasn’t one of Amy’s hits?
a. “Valerie” b. “Rehab” c. “Back to Black” d. “What You Waiting For?”
5. Sadly Amy Winehouse’s death at age 27 adds one more rock star to the “27 Club.” Who isn’t a member of the 27 Club?
a. Janis Joplin b. Brian Jones c. Kurt Cobain d. Jimi Hendrix e. Michael Hutchence
6. Katy Perry leads the 2011 MTV VMA awards pack with a total of nine nominations. Which two artists follow her with seven noms each?
a. Britney Spears & Eminem b. Lady Gaga & Nicki Manaj c. Adele & Kanye West
7. Looks like today’s teens will be able to find out how teens WAY BACK in the 90s lived now that Teen Nick has announced they’ll start a retro programming block called The 90’s Are All That. Which popular 90s show won’t be re-run on Teen Nick?
a. Fresh Prince of Bel Air b. Kenan & Kel c. All That d. Clarissa Explains it All
8. Later this month Spy Kids: All the Time in the World is being released in 4D. What is the fourth dimension?
a. Time Travel b. Smells c. Vibrating Seats d. Weather Effects
9. Which upcoming movie-based-on-a-board-game will star Liam Neeson?
a. Battleship b. Candyland c. Chutes and Ladders d. Risk
10. The recent devastating shootings in Norway happened at a youth camp affiliated with which Norwegian political party?
a. Progress Party b. Liberal Party c. Labor Party d. Centre Party
11. Always so much drama! Match the couple on the left with their current status on the right:
a. Jennifer Lopez and Mark Antony 1. Dating
b. Kristin Cavallari and Jay Cutler 2 Married
c. Vanessa Manillo and Nick Lachey 3. Broken Engagement!
d. Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux 4. Engaged
e. Kat Von D and Jesse James 5. Separated
f. Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries 6. Break up!
g. Alexander Skarsgard and Kate Bosworth
Give yourself five points for each correct answer. Each component of a multiple choice counts as one point. A perfect score is 57.
45-57 You broker a beer summit with Democrats & Republicans and The Debt Ceiling is Raised!
35-44 Bipartisan talks are going well.
25-34 Time to break out the 14 Ammendment!
0-24 Watch out for international economic collapse…
1Clarence Clemons; 2c; 3: a2, b4, c5, d3, e1; 4d; 5e; 6c; 7a; 8b; 9a; 10c; 11: a5, b3, c2, d1, e3; f4; g6
Erin Helmrich is a teen services librarian at the Ann Arbor District Library in Michigan. When she’s not planning or hosting the perfect pop-culture program she’s buying graphic novels for kids, teens, and adults. She’s the chair of the YALSA 2012 Printz Committee and her first book Create, Relate, and Pop @ the Library Services and Programs for Teens & Tweens was published earlier this year. She’s currently obsessed with reading for the Printz, and enjoying summer while it last. Contact Erin at firstname.lastname@example.org