Teen Pop Culture Quiz December 2011
1. Match the artist on the left with their hit single on the right:
a. Adele 1. Moves Like Jagger
b. Maroon Five 2. Good Feeling
c. Foster the People 3. Someone Like You
d. Cobra Starship 4. Pumped Up Kicks
e. Flo Rida 5. You Make Me Feel
2. An interesting study out of the University of Pittsburgh shows that teens are heavily exposed to alcohol brands in popular music. An analysis of 793 songs released during 2005-2007 was studied and they found that ___ percent of the songs mention alcohol – usually by brand name.
a. 10% b. 15% c. 25% d. 40%
3. Causing controversy, despite the lack of actual skin and action shown, Glee broke another barrier. Two couples took the next step–which didn’t?
a. Kurt and Blaine b. Santana and Brittany c. Rachel and Finn
4. YA novels continue to be the place for TV shows and movies to go for good stories, and a whole new crop just got picked. Which title has NOT recently been optioned?
a. Scorpio Rises by Maggie Stiefvater b. Unbecoming of Mara by Michelle Hodkin c. The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness d. Envy (an Empty Coffin Novel) by Gregg Olsen
5. For the teen girl wanting to capture that Bella smell that Edward finds so intoxicating there’s a new scent on the market! What’s the name of this intoxicating scent?
a. Bella Dawn b. Essence d’Bella c. Immortal Twilight d. Dawn Breaking
6. Coke knows its audience and has recently launched a campaign in cooperation with the WWF to raise awareness of the plight of the real-life animal they so frequently use to advertise their brand near the holidays. Their cans’ will be white this season. Which animal is Coke trying to save? _______
7. Several celebs have stopped by the NYC Occupy Wall Street Protest but which musician is potentially making $ off the effort with an OWS-themed T-shirt in his Rocawear line?
a. Russell Simmons b. Kanye West c. Jay-Z
8. Generation X is watching all of their adolescent trends recycle–essentially anything 80s! Which retro rewind hasn’t made a recent return?
a. Stretch Stirrup pants b. Feathers in hair c. Polka Dots d. Neon e. Huge earrings
9. Putting her $ where her mouth is, Lady Gaga has partnered with the McArthur Foundation and Harvard to launch a youth empowerment foundation–with a focus on anti-bullying–called:
a. One Love Foundation b. Edge of Glory United c. Born this Way Foundation
10. Recently, an elementary school in Compton got in trouble with the parents (and the media) for having actress Sasha Grey read aloud to school children. What is Sasha Grey’s claim to fame that the parents were so upset about?
a. Sex toy designer b. Prostitute c. Drug dealer to the stars d. Porn Star
11. It’s hard to keep track of the rollercoaster of celeb relationships–match the couple on the left with their current status on the right.
1. Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries a. Married
2. Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson b. Dating
3. Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively c. Divorcing
4. Kim Zolciak and Kroy Biermann d. Pregnant!
Give yourself five points for each correct answer. Each component of a multiple choice counts as one point. A perfect score is 54.
44-54 Wall Street has decided to give us back the $–OWS success!
34-43 It’s getting cold in NYC, but your fellow protesters are keeping the motivation alive!
23-33 There was a raid last night and the OWS library was closed.
0-22 Pepperspray and rubber bullets–watch out!
1: a3, b1, c4, d5, e2; 2c; 3b; 4b; 5c; 6 Polar Bears; 7c; 8a; 9c; 10d; 11: 1c, 2d, 3b, 4a
Erin Helmrich is a teen services librarian at the Ann Arbor District Library in Michigan. When she’s not planning or hosting pop-culture based programs, she’s buying graphic novels for kids, teens, and adults. She’s the chair of the YALSA 2012 Printz Committee and her first book, Create, Relate, and Pop @ the Library: Services and Programs for Teens & Tweens was released earlier this year. She’s currently obsessed with reading books for Printz–that’s all she has time for right now. Contact Erin at email@example.com