Teen Pop Culture Quiz August 2012
1. After two years of deliberation what prominent boys recreational organization decided that gay scouts and leaders were still banned?
2.Giving more hope that it does get better which hip-hop crooner recently came out of the closet following Anderson Cooper’s announcement but did it as a notably 20 years younger man:
b. Frank Ocean
c. Bruno Mars
d. Nate Dogg
3.The 2012 London Summer Olympics start on July 27. As always we have high hopes for the US athletes. Match the athlete on the left with the sport on the right
1.Claressa Fields a. Gymnastics
2. Missy Fleming b. Wrestling
3. Gabby Douglas c. Boxing
4. Jordan Burroughs d. Swimming
5. John Orozco
4.Collins publishers opened their submissions process to suggestions from the public on July 17 for their new online dictionary. Match the potential entries on the left with their definitions on the right:
1. Creeping a. Tights or hose for men
2. Cray b. Hitting on a girl when you’re both usually drunk
3. Yolo c. Your group of followers on twitter
4. Tweeps d. You only live once
5. Mantyhose e. Shortened form of crazy
5. The news of Katie Holmes divorcing Tom Cruise has been ever present with rumors and details swirling around. Which of the following details are not part of the “Katie escapes with Suri” stories?
a. Katie used disposable cell phones to communicate
b. Suri is now enrolled in a NYC Catholic Girls school.
c. Katie fired all of the Scientology-associated employees and had new bodyguards on duty when she made the break.
d. Katie moved into a new apartment and was relocated when she filed the papers
e. Katie bought a new house in Toledo to live closer to family.
6. Match the new Hollywood parent on the left with their newborn baby’s name on the right:
1. Kourtney Kardashian a. Pearl Clementine
2. Jessica Simpson b. Marlowe Ottoline
3. Sienna Miller c. Penelope Scotland
4. Jack Osbourne d. Maxwell Drew
7. The concluding film in Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy finishes the wildly popular story arc. Which actor below is not in the film?
a. Marion Cotillard
b. Christian Bale
c. Anne Hathaway
d. Joseph Gordon-Levitt
e. Katie Holmes
8. Casting for the Hunger Games film sequel, Catching Fire, is heating up. Who has not been confirmed as an addition to this hotly anticipated film:
a. Mia Wasikowska
b. Philip Seymore Hoffman
c. Amanda Plummer
d. Jenna Malone
9. Based on the book by Stephen Chbosky, the film version of Perks of Being a Wallflower is coming out this September. Who below is not in the film:
a. Emma Watson
b. Allison Pill
c. Logan Lerman
d. Paul Rudd
e. Mae Whitman
10. Potentially providing an alternative to Facebook for her fans Lady Gaga launched her own social networking site called:
a. Born Free
b. Fame Monsters
c. Little Monsters
d. Edge of Glory
Give yourself five points for each correct answer. Each component of a multiple choice counts as one point. A perfect score is 49.
30-49 You’re the torch lighter during the 2012 London Summer Olympics!
20-29 You placed first in your first performance – going for the gold!.
15-19 You hoped to do better but bronze isn’t too bad.
0-14 Oh no you fell off the balance beam 🙁
1 The Boy Scouts of America; 2b; 3: 1c, 2d, 3a, 4b, 5a; 4: 1b, 2e, 3d, 4c, 5a; 5e; 6: 1c, 2d, 3b, 4a; 7e; 8a; 9b; 10c
Erin Helmrich is a teen and IT/production librarian at the Ann Arbor District Library in Michigan. In addition to creating exciting library experiences for young and old, she’s enjoying her new focus on social-media, from creating AADL’s Pinterest page, hosting original podcasts to creating badges for their popular summer game play.aadl.org. Her first book, Create, Relate, and Pop @ the Library Services and Programs for Teens & Tweens, was published in 2011. Now that the 2012 Printz committee journey has concluded, she’s focused on travel, friends, and surviving the hottest summer on record. Contact Erin at firstname.lastname@example.org.