Teen Pop Culture Quiz Update # 42
1. Match the performer on the left with their latest hot single on the right.
1. Pharrell a. Counting Stars
2. Beyonce, feat. Jay Z b. All of Me
3. Idina Menzel c. Happy
4. John Legend d. Pompeii
5. Bastille e. Drunk in Love /
6. OneRepublic f. Let It Go
2. In what was perhaps a desperate grasp for relevance after disappointing album sales, Lady Gaga played at a Doritos sponsored show at the recent SXSW in Austin, TX. What stunt did she pull for a “gasp factor” at the show? Word has it, though, that it went largely unnoticed to the attendees when it happened.
a. Got completely naked
b. Jello wrestled with another woman
c. Got vomited on
d. Got dunk tanked
3. In a potentially interesting creative attempt to cash in on millennial’s love for electronic dance music (EDM), Disney is releasing a EDM remix album covering 14 of their films’ most popular songs. Which EDM artist will not be included on the album?
b. Daft Punk
c. The Japanese Popstars
4. Much to the frustration of health officials who are still trying to grapple with e-cigarettes and determine the spread of their usage amongst young people, there is now the emergence of “new” products that use different names, but are essentially the same as e-cigarettes. Unfortunately, recent studies show that teens think these new products are safer, healthier, and different from e-cigarettes. Which of the following isn’t the name of a new e-cigarette product?
a. gas pipe
d. vape pipe
5. The latest style buzzword floating on the interwebs and the streets of mostly NYC is about emulating the average Joe and leaving no distinctive impression with your clothes. Not everyone agrees that it’s really a thing. Nevertheless, it’s becoming one. Which of these core style reflects this new style trend?
a. common core
6. After several beer companies dropped their sponsorship of the Boston and New York City St. Patrick’s Day Parades, it’s clear the tide is turning in support of LGBTQ rights and equality. Which of the following brands did not pull their sponsorship?
d. Samuel Adams
7. In a move that predictably enraged FOX News personalities, President Obama went on the popular Internet comedy series Between Two Ferns to promote the Health Care Law. The Funny or Die show is hosted by the hilariously hostile and delightfully bizarre host:
a. Jack Black
b. Steve Carell
c. Zach Galifianakis
d. Jonah Hill
8. The trend of online video memes featuring people throwing themselves on the ground and imitating just about anyone and anything has gotten even more esoteric. Which of the following video memes is the newest one to hit the Internet?
9. The recent viral video First Kiss was an advertisement for a small clothing company, Wren, but many people fell under it’s pseudo-romantic, heartwarming Internet-moment spell and were a little mad when they found this out. The video has spawned a slew of parodies. Which one isn’t real (just yet)?
a. First Gay Hug
c. First Lick
d. First Handjob
e. First Sh*t
f. First koala bear tickle
10. After she dazzled the screen in her breakout film, The Descendants with George Clooney, Shailene Woodly is the hottest new young star. She also seems to have a penchant for movies based on teen novels. With the sure to be huge Divergent and Fault in Our Stars coming out soon, she also starred in what other film based on the teen book of the same name?
a. The Way Way Back
b. The Spectacular Now
c. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
d. Nick & Nora’s Infinite Playlist
Give yourself five points for each correct answer. Each component of a multiple choice question counts as one point. A perfect score is 51.
41-51 Warm weather is on the horizon, and spring fever has set in!
30-40 Hey, it’s March, spring has to come!
20-29 Um, it’s still freezing and we might get snow?!
0-19 Winter is coming…
1:1c, 2e, 3f, 4b, 5d, 6a; 2c; 3d; 4a; 5d; 6a; 7c; 8e; 9f; 10b
Erin Helmrich is a teen and IT/production librarian at the Ann Arbor District Library in Michigan. She’s fortunate to get to use her love of pop-culture via programs, large-scale events, contests, social media, digital publishing, and gaming. Her book, Create, Relate and Pop @ the Library: Services and Programs for Teens & Tweens, was published in 2011. She is currently obsessed with True Detective, the return of Game of Thrones, baking banana bread, and the impending spring weather. Contact her at email@example.com