Teen Pop-Culture Quiz Update #43
1. If you used to read under your covers with a flashlight, this may sound familiar. It may have its own hashtag, but the notion of unstructured “me” time at night is nothing new. What’s the term teens use to describe being up all night, reading online, texting, and otherwise using the night hours for their own needs.
a. rabbit-holing c. vamping d. red-eye d. night-owling
2. The Furby was the original hot, “smart toy” of the 1990s. The insane popularity of Skylanders has cemented the “smart toy” category as a market sector. 72 million children worldwide are interested in smart toys. Which of the brands below isn’t a current item on the market or generating a buzz for its impending arrival?
a. LEGO Fusion b. Disney Infinity c. MS Interloper d. Nintendo Amiibo
3. Crowdfunding is the new way to support all sorts of creative, and lately, odd projects, but the campaign that recently caught the Internet by storm was a simple plea from a guy who said, “I’m just making some_____.”
a. mac and cheese b. potato salad c. soup d. tuna casserole
4. In the never-ending recycling of fashion lately, it’s been looking a lot like a Dexy Midnight Runner’s costume party, or a 90s flashback. Which of the following “spin” on an old trend hasn’t been spotted (yet).
a. Skinny jean overalls b. Leather overalls c. Overall shorts d. Sweat-pant overalls
5. If you’re not an action movie fan or lover of superhero flicks, summer can be a tough time, but this time it’s the target audience who have disappeared. By what percentage have frequent moviegoers between the ages of 15 and 18 dropped in the last year?
a. 20 percent b. 6 percent c. 17 percent d. 10 percent
6. There are still several new movies coming out in late summer based on young adult books. Which of the following isn’t hitting theaters soon?
a. Alabama Moon b. The Maze Runner c. The Giver d. If I Stay
7. In Jenny Lewis’s video for her new song “Just One of the Guys,” she got several young actresses to dress in drag. Who isn’t in her new video?
a. Kristen Stewart b. Emma Watson c. Brie Larson d. Anne Hathaway
8. Match the artist on the left with their hit song of the summer.
1. Iggy Azalea a. “Rude”
2. Magic! b. “Stay with Me”
3. Sam Smith c. “Chandelier”
4. Calvin Harris d. “Fancy”
5. Sia e. “Summer”
9. Justin Bieber is highly talented when it comes to pushing people’s buttons and pissing them off. After Justin apparently said something about this guy’s ex-wife, the actor did what many people have wanted to do lately–he punched him. Who was it?
a. Ryan Gosling b. Zac Efron c. Taylor Lautner d. Orlando Bloom
10. The music industry continues to struggle and at the moment, streaming music is the only sector of the market showing any growth. There are a lot of new on-demand streaming and Internet radio services competing to knock Pandora and Spotify out of the top spots. Which of these isn’t a new streaming service to watch out for?
a. Deezer b. Slacker c. Rhapsody d. Songza e. TuneGo
Give yourself five points for each correct answer. Each component of a multiple choice question counts as one point. A perfect score is 50.
50- 40: Congrats, you’re as happy as a cosplayer at ComicCon!
30-39: You’re as bronzed as the new Wonder Woman costume!
20-29: You’re hanging with Jack Black in the Goosebumps movie.
0-28: Oof, you’re just a funny moment on the Game of Thrones blooper reel!
1a; 2c; 3b; 4d; 5c; 6a; 7b; 8: 1d, 2a, 3b, 4e, 5c; 9d; 10e
Erin Helmrich is a teen and IT/production librarian at the Ann Arbor District Library in Michigan. She’s fortunate to get to use her love of pop-culture via programs, large-scale events, contests, social media, digital publishing, and gaming. Her book, Create, Relate and Pop @ the Library: Services and Programs for Teens & Tweens, was published in 2011. She is currently obsessed with delicious summer weather, Brooklyn’s Twig Terrariums, visiting all the new restaurants in Detroit, and going to the Muddy Roots music festival in Tennessee over Labor Day weekend. Contact her at email@example.com.