Teen Pop-Culture Quiz Update #44 December 2014
1. Always sure for a good groan, the folks at Oxford Dictionaries announced the word of the year for 2014. Which word did they choose?
a. bae b. vape c. normcore d. budtender e. indyref
2. It was a big, bare butt heard around the world! Kim Kardashian’s recent bare booty (and full frontal) has inspired a bounty of butt parodies. Who or what wasn’t passed around to keep the Kim K news a flowin?
a. Ursula from The Little Mermaid b. Ellen DeGeneres & Portia de Rossi c. Krispy Kreme glazed donuts d. Chelsea Handler e. Channing Tatum
3. When viewed through the (possible) interplanetary lens of Scientology, there’s something almost disturbing about about the bizarre and frequently unbearable things uttered during a recent NYT’s T Magazine interview with these young stars:
a. Jaden & Willow Smith b. Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez c. Kendall & Kylie Kardashian d. Rumor & Scout Willis
4. Disney’s latest princess Moana is slated for a 2016 animated feature film release. This time the story takes place on a Polynesian island during ancient times. Not that anyone is counting, but Disney continues to portray princesses from around the world–responding to the diversity that audiences want. Moana is Disney’s ___ non-white princess.
a. Second b. Third c. Fourth d. Fifth e. Sixth
5. Tech startups and app makers are constantly looking for the next way to capture the interest and money of millennials. Match the name of the latest tech product on the left with the correct product description on the right:
a. Snapcash 1. This app allows mobile gamers to record and share their gameplay.
b. WiGo 2. Send money to your friends instantly via chat message.
c. Kamcord 3. Zooey Deschanel’s female-centric social-media site.
d. Hello Giggles 4. College students can find out what friends are doing each night and invite them to join at the push of a button.
6. Now that November has come to a close, a certain industry might see a bump in their sales. Thanks to the new all big beards, all the time craze, plus the month of November being the month where men stop shaving to draw attention to their health issues, sales of what products have plummeted recently?
a. Shaving cream b. Soap c. Condoms d. Razors
7. Affordable capsule collections by fashion designers are still hotly coveted by young (and older) fashionistas as evidenced by the recent crashing of H&M’s website when which designer’s collection was released?
a. Liberty of London b. Jason Wu c. Alexander Wang d. Rodarte
8. Match the artist on the left with their recent single on the right:
a. Lorde 1. “All About That Bass”
b. Meghan Trainor 2. “Don’t Tell ‘Em”
c. Hozier 3. “Yellow Flicker Beat”
d. Carrie Underwood 4. “Take Me to Church”
e. Taylor Swift 5. “Something in the Water”
f. Jeremih feat. YG 6. “Shake It Off”
FAME & FOLLY
9. Celebrities be poppin’ babies left and right, and as always they come up with memorable monikers for their offspring. Match the couple on the left with their progeny’s name on the right.
a. Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher 1. Esmeralda Amada
b. Christina Aguilera and Matthew 2. Avri Roel
c. Robert Downey Jr. and Susan 3. Summer Rain
d. Scarlett Johansson and Romain 4. Wyatt Isabelle
e. Scott Foley and Marika 5. Briar Rose
f. Hayden Christensen and Rachel Bilson 6. Rose Dorothy
g. Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes 7. Konrad
10. People Magazine just announced their latest “Sexiest Man Alive” for 2014 with the required cheesecake photos and accompanying bashful, often embarrassed interviews. Match the hot eye candy with their latest project.
a. Chris Pratt 1. The Maze Runner
b. Jamie Dornan 2. The Voice
c. Blake Shelton 3. Mockingjay
d. Eddie Redmayne 4. Guardians of the Galaxy
e. Scott Foley 5. Fifty Shades of Grey
f. Liam Hemsworth 6. The Theory of Everything
g. Ki Hong Lee 7. Scandal
Give yourself five points for each correct answer. Each component of a multiple choice question counts as one point. A perfect score is 54.
40 – 54 You got the wishbone and the dressing that came out of the turkey!
30 – 39 Enjoy your mashed potatoes with gravy.
20 – 29 Uh, oh you got some cranberry jelly and you can still see the can lines.
0 – 19 Sorry, here’s a burned dinner roll.
1b; 2e; 3a; 4d; 5: a2,b4, c1, d3; 6d; 7c; 8: a3, b1, c4, d5, e6, f2; 9: a4, b3, c2, d6, e7, f5, g1; 10: a4, b5, c2, d6, e7, f3, g1
Erin Helmrich is a teen and IT/production librarian at the Ann Arbor District Library in Michigan. She’s fortunate to get to use her love of pop-culture via programs, large-scale events, contests, social media, digital publishing, and gaming. Her book, Create, Relate and Pop @ the Library: Services and Programs for Teens and Tweens (Neal-Schuman), was published in 2011. She is currently obsessed with getting a kitten pal for her cat, Luna, NPR’s Serial Podcast, and trying to keep up with all of the new restaurants opening in Detroit. Contact her at email@example.com.