Teen Pop-Culture Quiz Update # 45 April 2015
1. Match the current slang on the left with the definition on the right:
a. Fleek 1. To be extremely desperate; wanting to get with someone
b. Thirsty 2. To let loose, have fun or get a little wild
c. Turn Up 3. That ho over there
d. Thot 4. The quality of being perfect, or on point
2. The latest app to raise the ire of parents everywhere–some accuse of it being designed to increase cyberbullying–is turning up in high schools all over the country. What’s the name of the app?
a. Slam b. GossipGab c. Burnbook d. Wicked Wire e. BuryTHatchet
3. Now that museums are banning the selfie-stick, not to mention the pain of having to carry it around, many new ways to creatively take your own pictures are being developed. What’s the latest accessory to make selfies a breeze?
a. Selfie-bra b. GrowMyArmExtender c. Selfie-umbrellas d. The Selfie-Shoe
4. Proving that the “crazy cat lady” stereotypes are old news and it’s a new day for cat-loving ladies, Taylor Swift has made “traveling with cats” a reality. What are the names of her fashionable felines?
a. Wendy & Lisa b. Olivia Benson & Meredith Grey c. West & Reading d. Dolly & Shania
5. It’s darn near impossible to keep track of celebrity couples, but let’s try anyway! Match the couple on the left with the current status on the right:
a. Leah and Brandon Jenner 1. Dating!
b. Kylie Jenner and Tyga 2. Pregnant!
c. Jessica Beal and Justin Timberlake
d. Zooey Deschanel and Jacob Pechenik
e. Gigi Hadid and Cody Simpson
f. Miley Cyrus and Patrick Schwarzenegger
g. Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris
6. Further fueling millennial’s and Y gen’s insatiable desire for nostalgia (even if it’s for last year) which 1980’s TV show is being rebooted with Joseph Gordon-Levitt pegged to star and produce?
a. Kids Incorporated b. Small Wonder c. Punky Brewster d. Fraggle Rock
7. 2015 promises to be another year full of movies based on YA novels. Which of the releases below isn’t actually happening this year?
a. Me, Earl and the Dying Girl b. Paper Towns c. Fallen d. Maze Runner: Scorch Trials e. On the Jellicoe Road
8. Zayn Malik broke the hearts of millions by announcing his departure from which boy-band?
a. The Wanted b. 5 Seconds of Summer c. One Direction d. Rixton
9. Clearly an orchestrated play to improve his reputation, the Comedy Central Roast of Justin Bieber was full of scripted digs and mean jokes about the worst rumors, truths, and perceptions of Justin Bieber. Which joke wasn’t actually hurled at the Biebs at the event?
a. You have it all . . . Except love, friends, good parents, and a Grammy.
b. This kid has spunk, moxie, and a few other STDs.
c. Justin, I’m sure it’s great to have 60 million followers on Twitter, but the only place people will be following you in jail is into the shower.
d. You are the King Joffrey of pop!
e. When Justin Bieber goes to prison he’ll become the first guy who ever had a girlfriend AND a boyfriend named Gomez.
10. Match the artist on the left with their latest hit on the right:
a. Mark Ronson w/ Bruno Mars 1. Sugar
b. Maroon 5 2. Time of Our Lives
c. Ed Sheeran 3. Earned It
d. Rihanna, Kanye West & Paul McCartney 4. Uptown Funk!
e. Weeknd 5. FourFiveSeconds
f. Pitbull & Ne-Yo 6. Thinking Out Loud
Give yourself five points for each correct answer. Each component of a multiple choice question counts as one point. A perfect score is 52.
42-52 A bounty of April’s diamonds for your finger or the soles of your feet!
32-41 April showers will bring you a bounty of flowers!
22-31 Sweet poems are being written about your big brain.
0-21 Watch out for chocolate bunny and jellybean thieves!
1:a4,b1,c2,d3; 2c; 3d; 4b; 5: a2,b1,c2,d2,e1,f1,g1; 6d; 7e; 8c; 9e; 10: a4, b1,c6,d5,e3,f2
Erin Helmrich is a teen and IT/production librarian at the Ann Arbor District Library in Michigan. She’s fortunate to get to use her love of pop-culture via programs, large-scale events, contests, social media, digital publishing, and gaming. Her book, Create, Relate and Pop @ the Library: Services and Programs for Teens and Tweens (Neal-Schuman), was published in 2011. She is currently obsessed with collecting Sonny Angels, driving a stick-shift again, the arrival of spring, and the return of Game of Thrones! Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.