Teen Pop Culture Quiz Update # 49
Pokemon Go was released on and has quickly broken all records. It has also led many humans into some unfortunate and downright bad situations. Which of the following incidents hasn’t happened (yet)?
- Players have been lured (literally) by thieves to rob them.
- The Japanese government released an illustrated Pokemon Go player safety sheet.
- Teen hit by a car after walking near a highway.
- A player stumbled upon a dead body in a river while searching for Pokemon.
- A man shared an image of a Pokemon he caught in his wife’s hospital bed while waiting for a C-section.
- A girl realized her boyfriend was cheating on her after she saw that he caught a Pokemon at his ex-girlfriend’s house.
- Rival teams of Pokemon Go players have a “dance-off” in a gym located on the moon.
Love it or hate it, Mountain Dew is a brand with a cult-like following. This summer, they captured this enthusiasm by pitting two of their most popular special flavors against each other in a competition to see which would become a permanent addition to the Mountain Dew flavor fold. Only two of the flavors below were in contention – which were not?
a. Baja Blast
b. Game Fuel Tropical
c. Pitch Black
d. Solar Flare
The world of “fast-fashion” has often been the favorite of teens and young adults, but lately, things seem to be sliding for some of the big purveyors of trendy, but cheap clothes. Which of the brands below isn’t technically “fast-fashion?”
- Forever 21
- Urban Outfitters
The 2016 Rio Olympics are approaching fast! Match the athlete competing for the USA on the left with the sport that’s getting them buzz on the right:
- Simone Biles 1. Soccer
- Laurie Hernandez 2. Boxing
- Caeleb Dressel 3. Gymnastics
- Trayvon Bromell 4. Swimming
- Claressa Shields 5. Track & Field
- Katie Ledecky
- Mallory Pugh
- John Orozco
- Vashti Cunningham
New babies are a poppin’ this summer with many names you may start seeing pop-up IRL. Match the parents on the left with their progeny on the right:
- Michael Phelps 1. Stenton David
- Liv Tyler & David Gardner 2. Onyx Solace
- Alanis Morissette & Mario Treadway 3. Boomer Robert
- Nicki Hilton Rothschild & James Rothschild 4. Lula Rose
- Eddie Redmayne & Hannah Bagshawe 5. Lily Grace Victoria
- Duncan Jones & Rodene Ronquillo 6. Iris May
MOVIES and TV
The 2016 Teen Choice Awards were held on Sunday, July 31, at The Forum in Los Angeles. There was a category for best Summer TV Show. Which of the shows below wasn’t nominated?
- Baby Daddy
- Girl Meets World
- So You Think You Can Dance
- Feed the Beast
- Teen Wolf
- The Fosters
- Young & Hungry
The young rising star, Anton Yelchin, 27, was tragically killed in a freak accident with his car this summer before the release of the latest installment on Star Trek Beyond. Which film or TV show didn’t Yelchin appear in during his short career?
- The Smurfs
- Only Lovers Left Alive
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Terminator Salvation
- Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Suicide Squad has been hotly anticipated all year and it’s finally here! Sporting a fantastic ensemble cast who isn’t cool enough to be in the Squad?
- Jared Leto
- Will Smith
- Margot Robbie
- Tom Hiddleston
- Scott Eastwood
- Cara Delevingne
- Viola Davis
VICELAND may be most often viewed on YouTube vs cable, but Vice’s new cable network is proving to be as popular as everything Vice produces – particularly with young males. Which of the shows below isn’t on VICELAND?
- Huang’s World
- Clothed & Brave
Match the artist on the left with their hit single on the right:
- Calvin Harris (feat. Rihanna) 1. “One Dance”
- Justin Timberlake 2. “Cheap Thrills”
- Sia (feat. Sean Paul) 3. “This Is What You Came For”
- Katy Perry/ Rise 4. “Can’t Stop the Feeling!”
- The Chainsmokers (feat. Daya) 5. “Don’t Mind”
- Kent Jones 6. “Rise”
- Drake (feat. WizKid & Kyla) 7. “Don’t Let Me Down”
Give yourself five points for each correct answer. Each component of a multiple choice question counts as one point. A perfect score is 54.
44 – 54 You’re on summer vacation and every day is a party or at least 80° and low humidity!
34 – 43 You’re working hard, but you still have time for summer fun and swimming.
24 – 33 It’s hot, humid and you’re working the night shift. Summer fun is elusive, but possible.
0 – 23 You’re stuck inside on every nice day, and your boss won’t let you out play!
1:g / 2: b & d / 3d / 4: a3, b3, c4, d5, e2, f4, g1, h3, i5 / 5: a3, b4, c2, d5, e6, f1 / 6:d / 7:e / 8:d / 9:c / 10: a3, b4, c2, d6, e7, f5, g1
Erin Helmrich is a teen and production librarian at the Ann Arbor District Library in Michigan. She’s fortunate to get to use her love of pop-culture via programs, large-scale events, contests, social media, digital publishing, developing collections and gaming. Her book, Create, Relate and Pop @ the Library: Services and Programs for Teens and Tweens, was published in 2011. She is currently obsessed with making succulent terrariums with seashells, staying sane while still paying attention to the election, and squeezing summer fun like kayaking and swimming in when it’s also the busiest time of year at the library! Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.